Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Yay for No POL! But I Still Have to Reflect...

Soo it turns out that I will not have to do a technical POL in front of the people that work at the IPJ! On the day of the Youth Town Meeting, Clint Akarmann (a fellow summer intern) and I gave the closing speech to 700 students, and that counts as my POL. This is very good news for me, because I'd rather focus on other things that I can do at the IPJ this week. Sam and I are going to have a simple discussion with our mentor Karla about our experience over the last three weeks, and how we've grown and all that stuff. So to prepare for that little discussion (rather than prepare for a POL) I'm still gunna respond to three of the six reflecting questions that were given to us today...

What did you learn about your own work from your internship project?
I have learned that I am pretty reliable with photoshop. A lot of people know the basics, but since I have worked with it for so long (since 6th grade) I am actually becoming kind of good at it. For a contributing part to the YTM, I actually chose to do it on photoshop instead of word because I knew it would turn out better.

How was your work as an intern meaningful to your education?
My experience at the IPJ has truly opened my eyes to what a degree in international relations can translate to in terms of a career. As high school students we are pretty much solely focused on college at this point, because it is the next crucial step in our lives. But after four years of that, we have to find something that we can do with all of this education. Like I said in the last blog post, I want to find something that I can do that I will truly enjoy, and that will make a difference in the lives of others. I have seen that the IPJ is a type of place that I would like to see myself at in 8 or 10 years, and I think that qualifies as a meaningful internship.

How was your work significant or meaningful to the world beyond school and your specific internship site?
The Youth Town Meeting that Sam and I had a large part in planning is designed specifically for that. By informing kids our age, we can hopefully inspire at least some of them to take action and become a part of something bigger. I am currently going through all 700 evaluations of the event, so I will soon know if our goal was reached :)

PS. I got a USD parking ticket yesterday. Being a grown up sucks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment