Thursday, January 28, 2010

More Reflection... :P

What new appreciations did you develop while working as an intern? Why?

I have definitely learned to appreciate all the hard work and planning it takes to pull off an event for 700 teenagers, some of whom are not very open minded. Everything needs to be accounted for, prepared, etc. All of the volunteers need to know what they are doing, which in itself is a huge challenge. And, most importantly, all of the students need to be able to enjoy the day. It is a huge (and daunting) process. But, we were able to accomplish it! Event planning is an interesting field, one that I haven't really ever considered before. This experience has not only broadened my perspective on international relations and peace-building, but also an entire new (yet not entirely unrelated) field.

How might internship influence the direction of your life?

If anything, internship has showed me that there are so many ways to "do good in the world" with an international relations degree. There are so many institutes, programs, NGO's, NPO's, etc. that are all currently making a difference. I know that I want to find a cause that I am passionate about, and do whatever I can to make a difference. I have "after college" on my radar now, which I didn't at all before. If someone asked me about my future one month ago, I would have immediately jumped to college. But, my experience at the IPJ has shown me that I don't have to wait until after high school and college to get involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment